Thursday, November 06, 2008

Thanksgiving Thursday

On this Thanksgiving Thursday I’m thankful for God’s grace in my life. Grace, as you know, is often described as unmerited favor. As I grow older I recognize more clearly that I merit nothing from God except His wrath. It’s always been easy to say I am saved by grace, but as I’ve come to understand more of God’s standards I see how far short I’ve come. Sometimes we judge ourselves based on outward performance and by and large most of us can perform fairly well. But God is looking for love that comes from our whole being and attitudes that are impossible to fake.

Giving thanks today for God’s grace.

Every Thursday this month, I'd like to devote this space to abundant thanksgiving to our God. Please join me by posting comments focused on what you're thankful for.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God's grace is everything. We were studying Hosea last eveing in a community group and I was think about Gomer. She like ourselves is always chasing other lovers. In the words of Derek Webb, "lovers so less wild." Like the words of Hosea...may God allure us into the wilderness and speak to us with tenderness and compassion. May we have our joy renewed.


Thanks for the email...

Farmer

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that God has saved me from damnation and that He's in control of everything. I'm thankful for much more, but I'm so grateful that I don't have to worry about anything, that because He's in control and He knows how things will work out, that everything here happens for a reason, part of His plan, then I can relax and get on with my life following (to the best of my ability) His will for my life.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that God is in control of my life. With all the twists and turns that cannot be explained its nice to know He knows the whole story and sees the whole picture.There are many times that without believing God is in control, I could see myself as a failure, an idiot or something less than a successful person whether as a mother, student or employee. As long as I know that I am doing my best, God fills in the rest for His glory and His work. It all comes together for the plan He has for me and for others. Thank you Jesus for that reasurrance.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful that God seems to give us exactly what we need at the time we need it. Even in the midst of difficulty, I can find joy in the circumstances and friends/family that He has set in place to get me through!

Anonymous said...

I am thankful that I have a family who loves each other, even though we may disagree with each other. I am glad God puts us on earth in families. Sometimes the things that cause us so much pain, also are the source of the most joy. I am thankful that God is with me during both the pain and the joy.

Anonymous said...

As we are visiting old friends in PA, amid glorious fall colors, listening to our children's music, tears, stories of healing cancers, redeemed lives, confessions of failures and rediscovery of love, talents, new life after we thought all had been lost-- so much evidence of rebirth and eternal life, despite lost youth, decaying leaves and 401Ks. I am surprised and thankful to rise to a new day and find friends to share it with!