Friday, November 07, 2008

Study with Me - Acts 1

One of the topics that comes up in Acts is the topic of baptism. Baptism, of course, is a topic upon which Christians sometimes disagree. I’m not so naïve as to think that I can clear everything up once and for all, but I have worked through some things to my own satisfaction and that is what I will be sharing here.

There are several passages in the gospels and in Acts that say something like this: “John baptized with water but Jesus will baptize with the Holy Spirit.” There are other places in Acts where it was said that certain people were baptized with John’s baptism and then were baptized again in the name of Jesus.

Sometimes there are passages that say things like those who were baptized into Christ were baptized into His death.

So is there anything that distinguishes these various descriptions of baptism?

Early on my dad suggested that I look at the prepositions involved with the word baptism. I have prepared a chart showing most of the key passages in the New Testament and some descriptions under the appropriate prepositions. You will find that chart here.

For example, you will see that John’s baptism was “in” water whereas Jesus baptism was “in” the Holy Spirit. Notice how John’s baptism was “into” repentance or forgiveness. So when you look at Peter’s preaching in Act’s 2 which doesn’t mention John at all, you will see that his message to them was similar to John’s. This is different from Jesus command in the great commission in Matthew 28 where his command is to be baptized “into” the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Take some time to study through the passages in the chart and see what you come up with. How many different baptisms do you find? What kind of baptism is Romans 6 talking about? Is the baptism mentioned in I Corinthians 12:13 the same as Jesus’ baptism in the Spirit?

Let me know what you come up with and I share some of my conclusions next week.

No comments: