Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What does God want from me - Part 2

In this short series, I'm looking at the basics of the Christian life. What does God want from us? So often we are looking for the secrets to the Christian life. By secrets I mean those topics such as "5 steps to a brighter future" or "10 steps to successful living". As I've lived the Christian life for over 50 years, it seems to me that the basics are still the basics. We covered two of them last week: 1) Love God with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength; and 2) Love your neighbor as yourself.

Today I'm thinking more in the line of spiritual disciplines that keep our relationship with God strong and our Christian life vital. What are those basic things?  I think we can boil them down to 1) Reading and studying the Scriptures; 2) Memorizing the Scriptures; 3) Meditating on them; 4) Praying; and 5) Gathering together with other believers for worship, prayer and teaching.

I'm not going to go into each of these right now because I think that most Christians who read this will know what I'm talking about. But some self-examination is probably in order. Look at each of the five things I listed in the previous paragraph and ask yourself these questions: 1) Do I involve myself regularly in this activity? and 2) What steps can I take today to fix any weakness I discovered in question 1?

Let's take the steps we need to take to be the faithful men God wants us to be.

No comments: