Thursday, January 10, 2008

God's Righteousness Demonstrated

I’ve just finished working my way through Hosea and I’ve decided that it’s almost like seeing into the heart of God as He pleads with Israel and Judah to return unto Him. The punishments and judgment that He brings come not because He is vengeful but because of the righteousness of His character. He demonstrates the fact that He wants to save them, but they refuse that salvation.

In 13:9 for example it reads, “O Israel, you are destroyed, but your help is from Me. I will be your King; where is any other that he may save you in all your cities? I gave you a king in My anger, and took him away in My wrath.”

In chapter 14 he pleads with them, “O Israel, return to the Lord your God, for you have stumbled because of your iniquity; Take words with you and return to the Lord. Say to Him, ‘Take away all iniquity; receive us graciously, for we will offer the sacrifices of our lips. Assyria will not save us, we will not ride on horses, nor will we say anymore to the work of our hands, “You are our gods.” For in you the fatherless finds mercy.’”

God is basically telling them the kind of words He wants to hear from them in true repentance. Obviously He doesn’t just want to hear those words repeated with no truth behind them, but this is the attitude He wants to hear from them. He is telling them these things at the same time that He is threatening and sending judgment upon them.

All of this reminds me of the New Testament verse that says, “God is not willing that any should perish.” (2 Peter 3:9) or the one that says, “God would have all men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth.” (I Timothy 2:4) God does not delight in the death of the wicked. (Ezekiel 33:11)

In spite of Israel’s sin and rebellion God shows mercy and grace. Hosea 14:4ff, “I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely, for My anger has turned away from him.”

May we recognize God’s work of grace in our own lives for just as Israel sinned and rebelled, so have we. But the offer of grace and mercy is continuously there. “If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (I John 1:9)

No comments: