Friday, January 04, 2008

Goals for the New Year

I trust that as you look back on the previous year you see it as a year of growth in your walk with the Lord and faithfulness to Him.

Sometimes we work too hard at trying to figure out what is involved in living the Christian life when the basic disciplines are pretty consistent from generation to generation: pray, read the Bible, memorize it, meditate on it and reach out to others in evangelism and discipleship. As we enter a new year, I think these are the things that need to be moved back to the center of our Christian life.

Reading

One of the things that many Christians think about this time of year is the opportunity to read the Bible through in the year. One of my friends mentioned the idea of having the daily Bible reading emailed to us so that we could read it that way. I’ve checked into that a little bit and have found two sites that will do that.

The first one can be found at http://www.bibleplan.org/

This plan provides several different Bible versions to choose from and also provides several different plans. This website makes the following statement: “Choose and combine plans to meet your needs and time schedule. For example, combining the OT in two years with the NT on weekdays is only 2 chapters each day, yet allows you to read the NT every year, and the OT every two years.” The thing I like about this is that the plan is flexible enough to allow one to read through the Bible in a longer period of time than a year.

The other site is http://www.bibleinayear.org/

This site also provides various translations and a method to track your progress on line. I think either plan would work for those who do most of their reading and writing on computer.

Memorizing

A scripture memory program that I found helpful was the topical memory system by The Navigators. I think their program has changed some and so I have provided the original topics and list of verses on the Faithful Men website here: http://www.faithful-men.org/resources/memory/memory.htm My goal this year is to review this whole set of verses. It’s been over 15 years since I actively memorized it. I have all the topics listed along with the verse references. I’ve been typing in the verses with links to them, but that part of the project isn’t finished yet.

If any of you want to comment on how you make good spiritual habits a part of your life, that would be great and helpful to all who read this blog.

No comments: