Sunday, January 02, 2011

Hymn of the Week - My Hope is Built on Nothing Less

The hymn I've chosen for this week is "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less". The second verse has the phrase "my anchor holds within the veil."

We are studying the book of Hebrews in Sunday School and in chapter 6 the writer speaks of the strong confidence we can have in God because He not only made a promise to His people, but He confirmed it with an oath. The writer tells us that this hope we have is an anchor for the soul. This anchor is grounded behind the veil where Jesus Christ our forerunner has gone ahead of us and for us. In the earthly tabernacle, God dwelt behind the veil and only the high priest could go there and only once a year. Now, one of us, the God-Man Jesus Christ has entered there on our behalf and is a foundation and guarantee for those of us who have fled to Christ for refuge.

My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less:

My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
but wholly lean on Jesus' name.

Refrain:
On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand;
all other ground is sinking sand.

When Darkness veils his lovely face,
I rest on his unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
my anchor holds within the veil.

(Refrain)

His oath, his covenant, his blood
supports me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
he then is all my hope and stay.

(Refrain)

When he shall come with trumpet sound,
O may I then in him be found!
Dressed in his righteousness alone,
faultless to stand before the throne!

(Refrain)

No comments: