Thursday, February 09, 2012

Living the Truth - Part 2


(Be sure to see the previous posts to get the context of this article.)

The second principle is Accept the Truth. You not only have to know what is true, you have to accept it and acknowledge that it is true. You have to believe, accept and embrace the fact that it is true. Getting from the knowledge step to the acceptance step is sometimes difficult. There are times when we know the truth, but we don't want to believe it or accept it. In order to get over that hump we need to be continually thinking on and speaking the truth to ourselves.

In Psalm 42:5, the writer does just that. He says, “Why are you cast down o my soul and why are you disquieted within me?” See what he is doing? He is talking to his own soul. He answers himself too! He says to himself, “Hope in God, for I shall yet praise him.” He quotes a promise of God to himself and acts on it with praise to God.

This is what we all need to do. When a circumstance comes up that we are having an issue with, we need to know what truth applies, and then we need to embrace it and tell ourselves that it is true and that we have the strength and power of God to deal with it and overcome our fearful or fretful feelings.
One of the things we need to be especially careful to avoid is proclaiming our feelings or commonly accepted statements as if they are true. I get extremely frustrated over the many statements I see online that are supposedly the truth, but contradict what God clearly says in the Bible. For example, we sometimes say, “I'm overwhelmed. I can't live victoriously over my circumstances. They are too much!” Yet God says, “I will not allow you to be tested above what you are able.” (1 Cor. 10:13)

...to be continued...

No comments: