Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Puritan Prayer

I bless you for my soul you have created,

for adorning it, sanctifying it, though it is fixed in barren soil;

for the body you have given me,

for preserving its strength and vigor,

for providing senses to enjoy delights,

for the ease and freedom of my limbs,

for hands, eyes, ears that do your bidding;

for your royal bounty providing my daily support,

for a full table and overflowing cup,

for appetite, taste and sweetness,

for social joys of relatives and friends,

for ability to server others,

for a heart that feels sorrows and necessities,

for a mind to care for my fellow-men,

for opportunities of spreading happiness around,

for loved one in the joys of heaven,

for my own expectation of seeing you clearly.

I love you above the powers of language to express, for what you are to us your creatures.

Increase my love, O my God, through time and eternity.

No comments: