Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Prayer for a Clean Heart and Right Spirit

Every month I try to choose a verse or two of Scripture to meditate on and to use as my source of praying for various friends and family during that month. My focus this month is Psalm 51:10 which ways, “Create in me a clean heart O God, and renew a right spirit within me.”

As we live our lives it seems as though we tend to get spattered by the world with its temptations and distractions. We need that clean heart that David is writing about here. And the thing which I noticed for the first time is that the clean heart is created by God. We know that God promises that, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” I John 1:9 But He is the one that creates the clean heart originally when we trust Him by faith and He continues to be the source of the cleansing as we walk through life confessing our sins along the way.

Also included in the verse is a request for the renewal of a right spirit. To me a right spirit speaks of the right attitude and frame of mind. We need a spirit of meekness and humility; a spirit of love and a sound mind; and a spirit of truth and justice. One could list many more. Here again, it’s God who renews as we humbly submit to His work in our lives.

May we be faithful in the way we request these inner changes that only God can accomplish.

No comments: