Monday, December 17, 2007

God's Faithfulness to His Unfaithful People

In Hosea 2, God, speaking as the offended husband, tells his children to plead with their mother about her prostitution. Judgment is coming if she doesn’t repent of her behavior and lifestyle. God basically says that He won’t have mercy on her or her children. Her children are under judgment because they are the offspring of her lewd behavior.

The wife gives an amazing excuse for her behavior. She says that she will go after her lovers because they provide her the bread, water, clothes and other things she needs. Isn’t that the way it is so often with us? We look to the world to provide what we think we need and often justify our sin in the process.

God’s response to this is to propose a hedge and wall to keep her from going after her lovers. She will try to find them but will not be able to and in the end will say, “I will go and return to my first husband, for it was better for me then than now.”

In explaining this God says that she did not know that it was He who gave her the grain, the wine, and the oil she needed. In other words, others were getting credit for supplying what God actually had supplied. We do the same thing, don’t we. So often we don’t acknowledge the fact that all of the good things we have and enjoy are from the hand of God. We see the world as the source and so we pursue it and the pleasures that we think come from it. All of the while, God is the one providing all of the good gifts we enjoy.

As a means of getting Israel’s attention and securing her repentance, he promises to take back the grain, wine and other things that she has enjoyed. He threatens to put a stop to the mirth and festivals that have occupied her attention.

Then comes a truly amazing scene in Chapter 2 verse 14. God says, “Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. And there I will give her her vineyards….And there she shall answer as in the days of her youth, as at the time when she came out of the land of Egypt.”

He goes on to say, “And in that day, declares the Lord, you will call me ‘My Husband,’ and no longer will you call me ‘My Baal.’” He then says, “I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the Lord.” And then in verse 23, “I will sow her for myself in the land. And I will have mercy on No Mercy, and I will say to Not My People, ‘You are my people’, and he shall say, ‘You are my God.’”

What a triumphant message of grace, mercy and faithfulness on God’s part. One can’t read this and think for one moment that our salvation is our doing. God maneuvers all of the circumstances around this unfaithful wife to bring about her ultimate return, repentance and fruitfulness. In spite of her unfaithfulness, God seeks her out and sets His loving attention upon her.

Do you know God to be working in that same way on your behalf? Do you see Him hedging you in so you can't get away and then faithfully calling you to Himself?

No comments: