Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Cross -- Part 1

The cross of Christ is central, not only to human history, but also to our successful living of the Christian life. It is this thought, begun over the recent Easter season, that provoked my thinking for this series.

Paul wrote in Philippians 3:10, “that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death.” He also wrote in 1 Corinthians 2:2 “For I determined not to know anything among you, except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.” Jesus told us in John 12:24-25, “Most assuredly, I say to you,  unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain. 25  He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.” Obviously from these passages and many more that we will examine, Christ’s death on the cross is central and key in all areas of the Christian’s life and experience.

There are two issues which are intertwined in my thinking. The first has to do with the truth that we were in Christ when He died and there is resulting victory and power in the resurrection life we share with Him. The second thread of thought has to do with the fact that in order to keep our life and bring forth fruit for God, we are to take up our cross daily and die to self and live for Christ. I’m going to be trying to think through and meditate on how these two concepts might be related. You may have some comments you want to add to the mix. Feel free to do so.
I’m not able to write my articles every single day so if you decide you want to follow this study, you’ll have to be patient with me and check back frequently to see how the study is proceeding. You can also set up your browser for RSS feeds that will allow you to know when I’ve posted the next installment.

No comments: