Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Believer's Battle -- The Flesh


Over the past several weeks, I've been summarizing our Pastor's series on The Believer's Battle. This week is Part 3 – The Battle with the Flesh.

This week's study is based on several passages of Scripture. 1 John 2:16 tells us that all that is of the world is not of the Father. Included in this list is the “lust of the flesh”.

Pastor makes extensive use of passages in Romans 6:6-9, 7:18, 23-25; 8:7-8.

In this passage we find that our old man “was crucified with Him” so that we would no longer be slaves of sin. We also learn that nothing good dwells in my flesh and that it often wars against our minds in order to bring us into captivity to sin.

Pastor Rawsthorne's outline is as follows:

Defining the Flesh (more than just my body)
My humanness
My disposition to sin
My tendency to sin
My self nature
My old nature

Dealing with the Flesh – Through the power of the Holy Spirit, the Word of God and one another in the church.

We need to deny ourselves – Luke 9:23
We need to discipline ourselves – I Corinthians 9:24, 2 Corinthians 10:3-5; I Peter 3:13
We need to restrain ourselves – Galatians 5:13
We need to walk in the Spirit – Galatians 5:16, Romans 8:1
We need to mortify our flesh – Colossians 3:5
We need to remove certain things from our lives – Ephesians 4:22, 2 Cor 7:1
We need to reckon ourselves dead to sin – Romans 6:11
We need to resist – Romans 6:12
We need to yield ourselves to God – Romans 6:13
We need to establish obedience as a pattern – 1 Peter 3:14-15

In order to hear this message from Faith Baptist Church in Mattawan, Michigan, please click here.

No comments: