Friday, February 01, 2008

The Law Does Not Bring Victory

We’ve been having a snowy day here in Michigan. I work for a school and today is the third snow day we’ve had this week. The kids love it, but the slippery roads are starting to wear on me.

As I write these blog entries, I’m moving along a couple of different lines. I’m teaching the book of Joshua in Sunday School, and my regular Bible reading and meditation is taking me through the minor prophets and the book of Hebrews so I’m being overwhelmed with more things to think about than I can write about. I’m trying to use this blog as an opportunity to put my thoughts into words so that others can hopefully be encouraged and motivated to study the Scriptures and learn so as to be increasingly faithful in the Christian life.

Today I’m going to add a couple of thoughts that come from the Joshua study. As the book of Joshua opens, verse 2 says, “Moses My servant is dead. Now therefore, arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people.” You’ll have to read back over the last couple of posts to understand what crossing over the Jordan pictures.

It strikes me as interesting that Moses dies and Joshua is commissioned with the responsibility. I don’t want to put too much emphasis on the potential symbolism of this because we know that Moses was not allowed to enter because of his disobedience. But it is interesting to me that Moses is associated with the law and Joshua, which is another name for Jesus, represents the Savior.

John 1:17 says, “For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” There are a multitude of Christians who believe that trying to live by the law is the path to living a victorious Christian life. It turns out that according to Scripture this is not true at all.

I Corinthians 15:56 tells us that the law gives sin its power. Paul, in his letter to the Romans says the same thing. In Romans 7:8 he writes, “But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead.”

He tells us later that it is not the law that brought death, but it was sin that did so. The law is spiritual and it is good, he tells us. However, the fact still remains that law gives sin its power. Therefore, bringing more law into your life does not increase the level of spiritual victory in your life. The scripture provides a completely different answer. Developing this will take several more postings, but for now suffice it to say that the victory is in a person – the Lord Jesus Christ. Just as the promises were given to Joshua and were to be accepted by faith, so everything we need spiritually was given to Christ and we claim them by faith through Him.

Alan Redpath, in his book Victorious Christian Living, describes it this way: "A Christian does not work his way up to victory, but down from it."

No comments: